Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hunting Yeti

Saturday, while out shopping in big box land on the south side of town, The Wife and I stopped in at Mass Beverage to pick up some provisions for the weekend. Mass Beverage has the best beer selection in town, it's a shame it's located so far away from the converted garage we're forced to call home (it's nice, but really, really small).

They have a bunch of shelves in the back with a large selection of single bottles for mix-and-match six packs and also plenty of bombers, 750ml bottles, and imports of various size to chose from. There is also a large cooler section with more six packs and bombers. I settle on a six pack of North Coast Brewing Co.'s Old No. 38 Stout for daytime activities and a bomber of Great Divide Brewing Co.'s Yeti Imperial Stout for my Saturday nightcap.

After enjoying a closer-than-it-should-have-been victory by the hometown Jayhawks and a dramatic victory by Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the Budweiser Shootout in the evening I was ready to get down to business.

Yeti is a year-round offering from Great Divide that comes bottled in 22 oz. bombers. It's brewed in the Russian Imperial Stout style. Basically a high alcohol, highly hopped version of a regular stout. It was originally brewed by British brewers for export to Russian Czarina, Catherine the Great who had a healthy appetite for stout. Yeti weighs in at 9.5% ABV with a hefty 75 IBUs, not the biggest stout on the block but, this mythical beast will be more than enough to send me off to dreamland.

Hugo says: "Drink more stout or I'll eat you!"

The pour is a thick, black color with a dark, frothy head that looks like chocolate mousse. Initial aromas are of sweet molasses, you should really let this stout warm up to around 50-55°F before pouring - I skipped this step. After warming, the complex malt bill began to reveal aromas of milk chocolate, creamed coffee, and a touch of roasted malts. The hop additions revealed themselves as mostly piney, earthy aromas, but also a hint of fruity citrus aromas.

The first sip brings the roasted malts more to the fore, also some semi-dark chocolate and a touch of caramel sweetness. The mouth feel is rich and full with enough carbonation to give it a velvety smoothness. The swallow finishes dry with lingering bits of slightly burnt pine needles and dark chocolate flavors. Also, a slight warming effect from the alcohol.

Overall, I give it an A grade. A big, bold beer, you'll need to take your time and sip it slowly. I definitely enjoyed it, and I'll buy more, but I'd recommend sharing it with a friend, 22 oz. was a bit much for me.

Bumble likes to eat cookies with his stout.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the Yeti, I've been working up to the oak aged stout offering from Great Divide. Working up means saving my pennies.

    ReplyDelete