Friday, March 28, 2008

Odell IPA

I've been in the mood for hops this week so today we'll take a look at one of the best IPAs available in the area, Odell Brewing Company's IPA. This 60 IBU, 7% ABV ale won gold at this years Great American Beer Fest, which is no small feat considering that the IPA category had 120 entries.

This bright copper colored beer with the fluffy off-white head has a great hop bouquet. Oranges, flowers and pine needles all battle to be the dominate hop aroma but there is also a mango-like sweetness in there that is very inviting.

In the mouth the citric and tropical fruit flavors fade to the background and the flavor becomes more herbal and piny. There is plenty of hops bitterness and a perfect biscuit-like malt backbone to keep it all balanced. Long dry finish and an almost perfect medium bodied mouth feel. Really solid IPA and one of my favorites, unfortunately hoppy beers of this quality seem to keep going up in price so if you see it for less than $10 a six-pack it's probably a good deal.

I should also apologize for not having posted in a while, I was out of town for Easter and haven't been able to get any good light for pictures until yesterday. I should have a couple more posts coming this weekend. I have a dunkelweizen waiting in the fridge and I might be headed down to Free State tonight to check out the projection screen they have set up for Jayhawk games. So check in later for those posts.

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are awesome. I can almost smell & taste the beer from where I sit. I have 6-12oz bottles of Arcadia IPA waiting to be drank. I will have their review on my blog 1st of May along with 3 other Arcadia beers from a variety pack I bought.

    ReplyDelete