Thursday, March 13, 2008

Trappistes Rochefort 10

Today we'll take a look at Trappistes Rochefort 10, one of the top rated beers in the world. Both Beeradvocate.com and RateBeer.com have it rated in their top 10. I picked up my sample at the Lucas Liquor Superstore in Kansas City, MO. You can also find Rochefort at liquor stores on the Kansas side of the border. Wherever you happen to find it be sure to grab it right away as they never seem to stay on the shelves for very long.


Brewed by monks at the Brasserie de Rochefort which is part of the Abbaye de Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy, 10 is a Belgian Quadruple Ale of the highest caliber. The abbey brews three different beers, 6, 8, and 10. All follow the same basic recipe the only difference is the strength of the beer with 10 being the strongest. I probably should have started with the 8, I have one in the fridge, and worked up form there. Oh well, I'll be different and start at the top and work down.


The bottle has a best-by date of August 29th, 2012 and according to this site it was bottled five years prior. That makes my sample about six and a half months old.

The beer pours a dark mahogany color with a huge light brown head that leaves all kinds of lacing on the sides of my chalice. The aroma is very inviting with notes of caramel, figs, ripe bananas, clove, and a touch of coriander. A really delicious and complex smelling beer.


The taste follows the aromas and adds a little bread-like flavor. Right now I'm imagining figs and bananas that have been dipped in caramel and sprinkled with clove. The finish has a cocoa dryness to it with a little bit of spice mixed in. Mouth feel is a little light which is probably due to the above average carbonation. I'm very impressed that the alcohol is barely noticed at any point, just a slow warming effect, pretty good for a 11.3% ABV brew.


I was really impressed with the great aromas and flavors of this beer. This is definitely one of the better beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I'm really glad I bought all four bottles I saw at the store. I understand now why I rarely see these little bottles in the stores and why I'll be buying more of these in the future, and I recommend you do the same.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy to say that Trappistes 10 is one of the few beers I've drank where I thought "wow, that is probably the best beer I've ever had". It doesn't happen often that a beer affects me that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried this beer for the first time two nights ago. I'd have to agree that it is on my top beers list.

    ReplyDelete