Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hefeweizen Part II

So...I'm way behind on posts around here so I decided today I'm going to try to catch up a little (Peter willing). I didn't even take any pictures of this batch.

First up is my second batch of Hefeweizen. I told you back in July that I was going to brew it again with a better yeast and that is exactly what I did. Wyeast 3068 did exactly what I wanted and this batch turned out better than the first batch. The banana aroma is more pronounced with a more subdued clove note. Carbonation was better with just over 3 volumes of CO2. It lacks head retention which I think is due to it being all extract. There were some slight off flavors that are probably from a fermentation that got a little to hot or the extract. Next summer I'll brew this again, only as an all grain recipe and I bet it'll be even better. I'll definitely be using 3068 as my regular wheat yeast from now on.

Original Gravity: 1.053
Actual FG: 1.013
IBU: 12-15
Apparent Attenuation: 75%
ABV: 5.2%

6 pounds of Muttons Wheat DME
1 ounce of Vanguard (5.0%) for 45 minutes
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat from a 1 quart starter

Brewed on 08/06/2009 by myself.

Add 5 gallons of water and 6 pounds of extract, heat to a boil, add hops and boil for 45 minutes. With about 5 min. left add the chiller to sanitize it.
Chill wort to about 80˚ or less, transfer to carboy, add water to 5 gallons, pitch yeast.

Notes:
8/5 - Made a yeast starter using about a quart of wort (3 oz DME) in a growler.

8/6 – Forgot to take final gravity. Pitched entire 1qt starter at about 77˚ at 11:30am Using a blow off this time because this yeast is supposed to produce gobs of Kraeusen. Had full Kraeusen by 8:00pm and by 9:30 the blow off tube was full. Temp is around 75˚

8/7 – Blow off tube still full this morning, bucket is filling up with yeast. Temp is holding at 75˚

8/13 – Fermentation is pretty much done, temp has been holding at ambient 72 – 73˚

8/26 – Bottling Day. Used 6.5oz. of corn sugar in close to 5 gallons for about 3.3 volumes of CO2. 24-22oz, 4-12oz, 1-24oz. Saved yeast cake for weizenbock.

No comments:

Post a Comment